Inspired by a photo I saw from The Urban Poser-gah, I LOVE that lady, I decided to give it a whirl and the results were AMAZING! So amazing that Denny wanted to eat it again tonight for dinner!
This dinner is pretty darn simple, although you do need to think ahead a bit to prep the sour cream. I thought I read some where about making your own coconut sour cream but I didn’t get to experiment so I ended up with this dairy free sour cream with a cashew base. (Side note- it is also really good dipped with blue corn tortilla chips and salsa…mmm…mmm)
How cute is that pic?!? I baked my potato and then sliced it to add the toppings and viola! A heart! How many of you have sweet potatoes that love you? Or green peppers that smile at you?
Loaded Sweet Potatoes
- 4 large sweet potatoes
- 1 package local bacon (or good quality bacon would be best)
- 1 bunch of green onions
- 1 C of mushrooms (crimini or shitake)
- Sour Cream (see recipe below)
- Preheat oven to 375. Slather coconut oil on the outside of your potatoes and then sprinkle with sea salt. Wrap them up in foil and bake for 60-90 min depending on the size of your tater.
I tried baking my bacon this go round for the first time. It turned out great and was totally easy! And since your oven is already going for the potatoes you mind as well bake the bacon-
- Line a cookie sheet with foil and spread your bacon strips out and then pop in the oven for about 20-25 minutes. Again, the time would depend on the thickness of your bacon.
- About half way through baking your bacon drain about 1 Tbsp of grease into a small pan. Then add your mushrooms and sautee for about 5 minutes or until soft.
- After the bacon is all done and crispy I placed it on a napkin lined plate to cool.
While you’re waiting for the bacon to cool chop your green onions.
Dairy Free Sour Cream
- 1 1/2 C cashews **soaked for 6 hours!**This it not totally necessary but helps with the smoothness/digestibility
- 1 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup of water
- Soak your cashews in a glass bowl cover with water for about 6 hours or overnight.
- Drain and rinse them after they have soaked.
- Add them to the vitamix along with the other ingredients and blend for about 1 minute. This might be a bit watery initially but after it has chilled in the frige for about and hour it will become nice a thick.
- Add all the delicious toppings to your potato and enjoy! Yum!