#3 breakfast bowl! Yay! I’m on a roll. Quinoa is AWESOME! It is grain like but it is actually a seed, so it passes for a gluten free diet. It is also very versatile, it can be eaten hot or cold and for breakfast, lunch or dinner. It works best for you to soak it first to make it more digestible. I suggest soaking for at least a couple of hours or overnight. It’s also a good idea to then strain and rinse the quinoa because it has a coating on the outside called saponin which can give it a bitter taste. It might sound a bit complicated to soak, rinse, etc. but it’s worth it! Quinoa also has a good amount of protein for “grain” so it will keep your tummy full for that morning stretch 😉
Blueberry Quinoa Breakfast Bowl
(this will make 3 bowls)
- 1 C quinoa (soaked, rinsed and cooked)
- 1 C coconut milk
- 1 C blueberries
- Soak quinoa overnight or for a couple of hours.
- Place in a fine strainer and rinse.
- Place the quinoa back into a pot with 2 C of water. Bring to a boil. Once boiling cover the pot and turn the heat to medium low. Cook for 20 minutes.
- At this point you can divide the quinoa and remaining ingredients into 3 bowls and serve warm or place in refrigerator overnight for a chilled option. Yum!