So what started out as a great idea for Christmas presents has turned into a labor of love, but after my 4th batch of doubling the recipe I am becoming quite the apple butter makin’ workhorse! I initially peeled the apples using a potato peeler and then chopped them by hand….needless to say it took quite a while and then I was so sad that I only got 3 and 1/2 jars!! AND THEN…my sweet friend loaned my an apple corer/peeler/chopper and my life changed! I ordered a crate of apples from our local apple guy and went to work!
- 12-14 apples peeled, cored, and chopped into tiny pieces (I used local arkansas black apples, available at the winter farmers market)
- 2/3 C date sugar
- 1/3 C maple syrup
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp cloves
- 1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Combine dry ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
- Place the apples into a slow cooker then mix in dry ingredients and maple syrup. Cook on high for 1 hour then stir the apples.
- Cook overnight or on low for 9-12 hours.
- Cook an additional 2 hours with cover off.
- Add apples to a vitamix and blend until smooth.
- Pour into jars and refrigerate.
*Depending on the size of your apples it makes about 4 half pint jars of butter.